Just finished reading this article by Janet Larson:
I was blown away by the accuracy of her article and the current state of the fastest growing mode of public transportation – EVER!
There are a few notes that I would like to add:
1. The City of Toronto is complaining about the overhead and operational costs of their public bike share solution – this does not bode well for the “smart dock” technology despite the great membership program. Suggestions that the transit commission take over the operations may change the way public bike share is deployed in North America.
2. Phoenix will be moving forward with a “smart bike” technology with a twist – walk up users will also be able to use their credit card at a SandVault ”PayStation”.
3. The City of Austin and the City of Cincinnati, are both deciding on how to proceed with their Public Bike Share program.
4. Boise and Norfolk have gone through an RFI process and will be going to an RFP process.
5. Hamilton will be going to RFP process in the summer of 2013.
Exciting times are ahead for Public Bike Share! If you would like to add more to my rant – please send me an e-mail at email@example.com, of fill out the form below: